River Raisin Institute offers a spring and fall series of films related to environmental issues such as climate change, water resources, food, and more. The film series is sponsored in partnership with the Monroe County Library System, IHM Sisters, and Weber Center in Adrian. Showings are free and open to the public.
Spring 2017 Film Series
“The undeniable impacts of climate change”
TED Talk Series
- Monday, 3/20 @ 6:30 pm Ida Branch Library, 3016 Lewis Ave, Ida, Mich.
- Tuesday, 3/21 @ 3 pm IHM Motherhouse, 610 W Elm Ave, Monroe, Mich.
- Tuesday, 3/21 @ 6:30 pm Weber Center, 1257 E Siena Hgts, Adrian, Mich.
This series of TED talks discusses the impacts of climate change on environmentally precious biomes, human livelihood, and the earth’s natural processes. These presentations illustrate the struggle of scientific evidence being acknowledged as support for climate change, the pressure that the oil industry and human impact have on important biomes, and nine “planetary boundaries” that have been identified which human impact must remain in to preserve earth’s resilience.
Racing Extinction, Part 1
- Tuesday, 4/4 @ 3 pm IHM Motherhouse
- Monday, 4/10 @ 6:30 pm Ida Branch Library
- Tuesday, 4/11 @ 6:30 pm Weber Center
From the Academy Award winning filmmakers of The Cove, Racing Extinction is a captivating film about the “two-worlds” that are driving us towards the next big extinction. A collaborative effort between artists and activists brings into awareness the devastating effects of the international wildlife trade and the oil and gas industries.
Racing Extinction, Part 2
- Tuesday, 4/18 @ 3 pm IHM Motherhouse
- Monday, 4/24 @ 6:30 pm Ida Branch Library
- Tuesday, 4/25 @ 6:30 pm Weber Center
In the second part of Racing Extinction you will see the filmmakers and activists use their talents to spark a movement toward change that will preserve life as we know it. This movement revolves around the continued education about current worldwide environmental issues and compassion for the things we risk losing every day. Their efforts have no boundaries.